A 43-year-old PRC businessman who is also a Singaporean PR molested his family’s 32-year-old foreign domestic worker from Myanmar and then raped her after asking her to give him a massage.
Here are some brief facts on the case:
- He pleaded guilty in the State Courts of Singapore and sentenced to jail for 11½ years and five weeks and to be given nine strokes of the cane. He had pleaded guilty to one count each of rape and outrage of modesty. Another two counts, one for sexually assaulting the maid and one for causing hurt, were taken into consideration.
- He was represented by a Criminal Defence Lawyer.
- After he was charged in court and released on bail, he molested a woman near Chinatown MRT station and separately assaulted another stranger.
- Prosecutors sought at least 12 years’ jail and 10 strokes of the cane for the rape charge.
- The man’s Criminal Defence Lawyer told the Court that the man was sincerely sorry for what he had done.
Outrage of modesty is an offence under section 354 of the Penal Code (Cap 224) which states:
Assault or use of criminal force to a person with intent to outrage modesty 354.
(1) Whoever assaults or uses criminal force to any person, intending to outrage or knowing it to be likely that he will thereby outrage the modesty of that person, shall be punished with imprisonment for a term which may extend to 2 years, or with fine, or with caning, or with any combination of such punishments.
(2) Whoever commits an offence under subsection (1) against any person under 14 years of age shall be punished with imprisonment for a term which may extend to 5 years, or with fine, or with caning, or with any combination of such punishments.
More information on the case may be found here.