A 23-year old full-time national serviceman, Maximilian Tan Jun Xiang, was sentenced to 3 months’ imprisonment after pleading guilty to an offence involving theft – he had used a tenant’s key to enter her room and stole $2,505 from her wallet.
Here are some brief, available facts on the case:
- He pleaded guilty.
- The victim, a Chinese national, was a tenant at his mother’s flat in Choa Chu Kang Avenue 3.
- He found the victim’s keys and decided to enter her room to see if there was any money to steal.
- He then turned off the closed-circuit television camera in the flat before entering the room, removed the money from the wallet and replaced the wallet in its original position under a pillow.
- He spent all the money on himself and nothing was recovered.
- He had previous convictions for similar, related criminal offences and had previously been sentenced to reformative training for theft.
More information on the case may be found here.